This is mine...not yours. Please share with care.

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Arcosanti

Arcosanti. It's a neat little place and its right off I-17 between Phoenix and Flagstaff. I had heard about it in my Humanistic Values in a Technological Society class in the fall semester and have always wanted to stop by and check it out. On my way home in May, I decided I finally would. Things had closed and all the tours had been closed to guiding but I did get a quick synopsis of info from the employee in the visitor's center. Well, without further ado, I hope I have sparked your interest. I'm going to copy the next few blurbs straight from their website.
Click here to see the website.


In 1970, the Cosanti Foundation began building Arcosanti, an experimental town in the high desert of Arizona, 70 miles north of metropolitan Phoenix. When complete, Arcosanti will house 5000 people, demonstrating ways to improve urban conditions and lessen our destructive impact on the earth. Its large, compact structures and large-scale solar greenhouses will occupy only 25 acres of a 4060 acre land preserve, keeping the natural countryside in close proximity to urban dwellers.

Arcosanti is designed according to the concept of arcology (architecture + ecology), developed by Italian architect Paolo Soleri. In an arcology, the built and the living interact as organs would in a highly evolved being. This means many systems work together, with efficient circulation of people and resources, multi-use buildings, and solar orientation for lighting, heating and cooling.

In this complex, creative environment, apartments, businesses, production, technology, open space, studios, and educational and cultural events are all accessible, while privacy is paramount in the overall design. Greenhouses provide gardening space for public and private use, and act as solar collectors for winter heat.

The concept of a one-structure system is not incidental to the organization of the city, but central to it. Such an urban structure hosts life, work, education, culture, leisure, and health in a dense, compact system which also puts the untouched open countryside at the fingertips of the residents. The compactness of an Arcology gives 90 percent more land to farming and conservation than today's urban and suburban sprawl. This compactness makes an Arcology a more workable system.

The automobile divides a city by scattering it across the landscape. Greater attention is given to human scale in an Arcology. In it the pedestrian reigns. Distances are measured by walks and minutes. Within it the automobile is nonsensical.

In an Arcology energy is used more efficiently than in a conventional modern city. Pollution is a direct function of wastefulness, not efficiency. The increase in efficiency and reduction of wastefulness means a reduction of pollution.

The first picture is of the world-famous Soleri Bells produced right at Arcosanti. And below it is a little bird that did not fly away when I walked passed it. It just hopped along like it wasn't scared one bit.


I only went to the building in the 2nd pic because there wasn't anything else open.

The welcoming sign before you go about 2 miles on a dirt road to Arcosanti.

This reminded me of the scene in Cars when Lightning McQueen or his girly-friend, Porsha?, say, "Look at them, they have no idea what they're missing. They just pass right on by" when they were looking at the Freeway that bypassed Radiator Springs. So that's the freeway in the distance, about 3 miles away and they're zooming right past a unique and educational place.
Leaving...and looking back. It's beautiful desert landscape.
One last note: You can even stay at Arcosanti for a night or two and get a hands on experience. It is really cheap actually, between $40-60 and I think that includes meals.

And then I went home and after a week passed, we celebrated Dad's 56th birthday at 86 Cafe. He got a free Apple Cobbler with ice cream. And Linda put a little candle on top. Haha. The quality isn't that great cause I just whipped out my camera in time to catch the candle before he blew it out. And the flash wasn't on automatic either. Emma and Abbey were also with us. I brought them home with me so they could stay at G-as (G-pa's and G-ma's) place overnight.
Ha, that was an adventure getting home. That Friday I was there, I got lost twice...trying to go to my bank and trying to get home. And Emma and Abbey were with me both times. They probably think Aunt Margo never has a clue where she is.

No comments: